Basic rules to consider for your safety
The railing is mandatory as soon as the steps overlook a gap of 80 cm in height. The height is at least 1 m for a horizontal railing (or floor) and 90 cm for the sloping railing. The maximum spacing between the balustrades is 11 cm. In the case of a loom, the maximum space between each is 18 cm. The first loom must be 5 cm from the nosing.
PMR (disabled people) standard : The banister must start at the beginning of the stairs and the handrail must exceed 20 cm.
To ensure comfort when climbing, a step height should be between 17 and 21 cm and the tread depth must be constant (so that the foot lands flat). The more the tread depth increases, the more the step height will decrease, and the more the staircase is comfortable, providing that the number of steps does not exceed 20 per flight.
PMR (disabled person ) standard: Maximum height: 18 cm and Minimum tread: 240 mm
The width of the staircase
It is preferable that it not less than 70 cm.
PMR (disabled person ) standard : Minimum stair width: 80 cm
Headroom (height over stairs)
Measured on the line of travel is less than 1.90 m but the current trend recommends 2.10m. Finally, if the surface of the stairs is quite slippery, bands or nonslip coating avoid the risk of accidents.
Measurements for a quote must be as precise as possible :
- Finished floor height / Finished floor
- Check the floor levels (ground floor and first floor)
- Ceiling height
- Thickness of the slab
- Detail of the slab (composition: tiles, thin screed, concrete, fake ceiling)
- Check the squareness of the slab at the arrival of the stairs
- Include the heating system (ground, reversible air conditioning, heaters)
- Notify if any electrical cables, water pipes or other services are concealed in the floors or walls near to the stairs.
- Shape of stairwell
- Length of the stairwell
- Width of the stairwell
- Measurements of the different angles of the stairwell (if not at 90°, take the diagonals)
- Check how vertical the ground floor walls are.
- If the walls are insulated, it is necessary to know the thickness and its composition
- Pay attention to RT 2012 standard, which often means that the staircase is not fixed on the wall.
- If the staircase is a double level, use a plumb line to verify that the two stairwells are perfectly aligned.
- Make a plan of the ground floor by positioning the load-bearing walls, partitions, windows, doors, furniture, …
- Make a plan of the first floor by positioning the load-bearing walls, partitions, windows, doors, furniture, …
- Take photos of the site, ground floor, first floor, slab…